March 14, 2019
Watson Translate (Beta)
Translates a piece of text into the language of the user’s choosing using three fields: Source language (what language is the message coming in), Target language (what language should it translate to), and Text (the message to be translated, likely using a variable). Languages must be configured using language codes, as in this IBM documentation.
Watson Detect Language (Beta)
Allows the user to detect the language of a given piece of text, perhaps of a received message. That detected language can be used with Watson Translate action to allow two-way communication across different languages.
Allows the user to point to their Watson Assistant configuration on the IBM Watson dashboard to use pre-configured intents to facilitate automated, responsive conversation. The required fields are the Assistant URL and credentials (located in the API details on the user’s configured Watson Assistant instance) and the Workspace ID (located in the API details on the user’s configured Skill, which is associated with the Watson Assistant instance).
Ability to make a copy of a flow
Allows a user to click to make a copy of a flow from either the Flow Management page (copy button next to the delete button) or using the ‘Clone’ button that is available in the flow metadata section of the configuration panel of the flow. This will users to quickly replicate and edit flows (for a A/B testing inbound text campaigns, for example) and will add strong value for debugging purposes.
Sentiment and Tonality Analysis on SMS
Users can now conduct sentiment and tonality analysis on text messages using the standalone sentiment and tonality actions in the premium actions menu.
We will now include the server response code as a variable so that users can use control actions to drive logic based on specific response codes. Look for a variable called ‘status code’ on the external web call actions.
Ability to select an XML mime type and post or get XML data. Note: This does not yet include the ability to parse XML into variables; only the entire response body is included. Variable support is a roadmap item.
Validations on Record Response
Validate against the presence of invalid characters in the record response action to prevent users from mistakenly entering invalid input.
Assign multiple telephone numbers to the same flow
Allows the user to assign multiple telephone numbers to the same flow. Note: This feature will work best if the user ensures that the desired numbers have already been enabled for SmartFlows (i.e. green thumbs up means go!). This enablement is done in the Customer Portal.
‘Between’ Operator Available on Switch Action
Allows customer to test for an integer value between two other integer values.
Validation when number of audio plays on the Menu Tree is mismatched to max retries
There is some nuance to the process of matching Menu Tree Introductory Audio plays to the number of retries, which can be confusing for the user. This validation is present to help guide the user in matching the number of plays to the number of retries.
- Fixed a bug related to the Dial action that prevented menu tree, transfer, play audio, and other actions to work correctly after the Dial action was used
- Fixed a confusing user experience where newly opened flow tabs were hidden behind the last active flow when opening them using the ‘new flow/edit flow’ tab on the canvas
- Fixed a bug that allowed a call to continue indefinitely after one party hangs up after a transfer
- Text-to-speech and SMS were very sensitive to special characters and these features would often break if special characters were introduced; we implemented a fix for this
- When the flow name was updated but the flow was already assigned to a number, the new flow name did not propagate to the number assignment page; this issue was resolved
January 25, 2019
- We’ve gotten a lot of questions about what works in SmartFlows and what don’t. We think it’s still valuable for everyone to see all the actions that they can soon expect to be able to use, even if they’re not ready – but to lower the friction for everybody, we’re disabling (i.e. greying out but not removing from the view) any actions that aren’t working (like inbound Email trigger, bridge, record response, and others). Now teams will be armed with better information about what’s live vs. not done cooking and users won’t be able to put nonworking actions in their flows, reducing friction for everybody.
- A number of visual changes have been made to implement a more modern look and feel and stronger consistency with the IntelePeer brand.
- Validations, red asterisks denoting required fields, and tooltips have been put in place in many areas to help guide the user through the app experience.
- Spanish language support has now been deployed in SmartFlows. A Spanish-language interface can now be accessed from the dropdown menu in the top right corner.
Actions (previously known as “verbs”)
- GET Support Added to External Web Call – We have made enhancements to the
external web call action that add the capability to retrieve information from other
systems in the course of a flow, known as a GET request. This functionality will allow the user to program their flow to reach into another system, look up some pertinent information (such as an upcoming appointment based on an incoming phone number), and store it as a variable to be used later in the flow. Documentation for this functionality will be added to the user guide soon.
- Fix to Variable Replacement – Fixed an issue wherein variable replacement was not functioning as expected and affected various situations where variables were being read literally rather than substituted for the appropriate value (for example, when attempting to read a substituted value in text-to-speech, as in the case of playing an audio message like the following: “It sounds like you entered <<DTMF input>>. Is that correct?”).
- Text-to-Speech – Enhanced the text-to-speech functionality throughout the application, allowing users to edit their entered text inline without having to delete and start over.
- Voice Selection now functions as expected, allowing the user to select a voice to be used in the flow
- REGEX – The REGEX action now supports extraction capability.
- DTMF – The DTMF action now supports voice input.
- Short Codes – A bug was fixed that prevented users from assigning a flow to a short
code. Previously, the system expected a 10-digit number, leading to unsuccessful
assignments. This release fixes the issue so short codes can now be used for inbound SMS flows.
- In addition, the flow assignment modal that appears when assigning flows to any short code restricts the table to inbound SMS only. This will prevent the user from attempting to assign a voice flow to a text-only number and simplify the assignment experience by showing only the information most relevant to the user.
Other Minor Fixes
- Fixed a bug where menu tree loses audio and navigability when the timer is tripped
- Fixed a bug where Speech Recognition returned a ‘missing fileidentifier’ error
- Fixed a problem where connectors could not be deleted due to multiple connectors overlaying
- Fixed a bug where clicking the ‘Info’ or ‘Settings’ tabs in the config panel would redirect to the Flows page without saving
- Improved the stability of the Switch action; also added a default path to catch situations in which no conditions match SMS now has only two ports, matching the number of paths that can be taken after an SMS send
December 5, 2018
Actions (previously known as “verbs”)
- REGEX action, which allows users to search strings for specific patterns (such as email addresses, credit card numbers, et al) using regular expressions, is now functional
- REGEX action uses the PCRE library of Regex
- A good resource for those wanting to play with regular expressions: https://regex101.com/
- Enhancements to the performance of the speech recognition action
- Fixed an issue where Play Audio action was not functioning properly after an SMS action
- Number assignment screen will now populate with toll free numbers and short codes if they are present in the customer’s inventory
November 30, 2018
Actions (previously known as “verbs”)
- Switch action now functions as expected, with the exception that it does not yet test conditions on $ANI or $DNIS
- Switch now also has a ‘Default’ path to account for cases in which no conditions evaluate to true
- Text-to-speech audio option is now available on the Transfer action
- Voice Selection now available on audio actions, enabling users to implement text-to-speech in different accents and languages
- Number label from the Portal now appears on the number assignment view to help guide users against choosing numbers in use
- Users are prevented from deleting flows belonging to other users
- Users are warned before deleting flows when clicking the delete button
- Users are warned when navigating away from unsaved work
- Small fixes to improve clarity and usability of user interface