+1 (650) 525-9200
Opt-in and consent:
• A user must first consent to receive messages by opting into them via a third-party channel. This can be any channel your business uses to communicate with people today — your website, app, email, SMS, retail location, etc.
• The opt-in must be an active opt-in. This means it must be triggered by a user action, such as entering a phone number or checking a box to indicate consent.
• Clear opt-in messaging so that a user knows what type(s) of messaging the person is signing up for.
• All templated messages must be approved prior to their use.
• All rules and laws must be followed by the customer to ensure compliance.
For more information:
Prohibited use cases:
• Advertising, marketing messages, or promotional messages are not permitted unless authorized in writing.
• Gaming Applications are not allowed.
Other important things to note:
• WhatsApp requires each company to obtain explicit opt-ins from their customers to deliver any message over to that customer.
• Opt-ins could be as simple as the customer initiating a conversation with the business on WhatsApp or by explicitly agreeing to be messaged by the business.
• Sending any messages to the customer without their opt-in may result in the suspension of the WhatsApp Business account.
• While WhatsApp offer users end-to-end message encryption, it is up to the brand to ensure GDPR & PCI compliance.
Customer Care Window
• The 24-hour period following the last message that a WhatsApp application user/customer sends to a business.
• New messages sent by a WhatsApp application user/customer, restart the 24-hour period.
• Additional charges and limitations apply if messaging a WhatsApp application user/customer after this time has expired.
WhatsApp Session Messages
WhatsApp Session messages are any messages sent and/or received in response to a WhatsApp application end user-initiated message to your application during the Customer Care Window.
Messaging limits determine how many unique users a business can send messages to on a daily basis. This includes new conversations as well as existing conversations with users. The messaging limit does NOT limit the number of messages a business can send, just the number of users you are trying to message. It also does NOT apply to messages sent in response to a user-initiated message within a 24-hour period.
For additional WhatsApp policy details:
• Tier 1: Allows your business to send messages to 1K unique customers in a rolling 24-hour period.
• Tier 2: Allows your business to send messages to 10K unique customers in a rolling 24-hour period.
• Tier 3: Allows your business to send messages to 100K unique customers in a rolling 24-hour period.
All businesses start on Tier 1 when they register their first number.
Messaging Limit Upgrades
A business’s phone number will be upgraded to the next tier if:
See the charts below for examples of how a business might move to the next tier:
A business is upgraded from Tier 1 to Tier 2 when it messages a total of 2,000 users within a 7-day period.
© 2020 IntelePeer Cloud Communications.
155 Bovet Rd, San Mateo, CA 94402